This system is made up of your brain, spinal cord, and all the nerves of your body. … The brain is the control center and the spinal cord is the major highway to and from the brain. The nerves carry the messages to and from the body, so the brain can interpret them and take action.
What is the most simple nervous system?
Instead of a brain, hydra have the most basic nervous system in nature, a nerve net in which neurons spread throughout its body.
What are the 3 types of nervous system?
It has three parts: The sympathetic nervous system. The parasympathetic nervous system. The enteric nervous system.
Is the nervous system simple or complex?
The nervous system is a complex collection of nerves and specialized cells known as neurons that transmit signals between different parts of the body. It is essentially the body’s electrical wiring. Structurally, the nervous system has two components: the central nervous system and the peripheral nervous system.
What are the 4 types of nervous system?
The PNS is divided into three separate subsystems, the somatic, autonomic, and enteric nervous systems. Somatic nerves mediate voluntary movement. The autonomic nervous system is further subdivided into the sympathetic and the parasympathetic nervous systems.
What is sympathetic and parasympathetic?
The autonomic nervous system comprises two parts- the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system. The sympathetic nervous system activates the fight or flight response during a threat or perceived danger, and the parasympathetic nervous system restores the body to a state of calm.
What are the 4 main functions of the nervous system?
The four main functions of the nervous system are:
- Control of body’s internal environment to maintain ‘homeostasis’ An example of this is the regulation of body temperature. …
- Programming of spinal cord reflexes. An example of this is the stretch reflex. …
- Memory and learning. …
- Voluntary control of movement.
What are the 5 main parts of the nervous system?
The nervous system consists of the brain, spinal cord, sensory organs, and all of the nerves that connect these organs with the rest of the body. Together, these organs are responsible for the control of the body and communication among its parts.
- Afferent neurons. …
- Efferent neurons. …
What are 5 interesting facts about the nervous system?
11 Fun Facts About the Nervous System
- The body has billions of nerve cells. …
- Neurons are made of three parts. …
- Neurons may look different from one another. …
- Neurons are programmed to do different things. …
- There are two parts of the nervous system. …
- There are two types of nervous systems.
What are the 2 types of nervous systems?
The nervous system has two main parts:
- The central nervous system is made up of the brain and spinal cord.
- The peripheral nervous system is made up of nerves that branch off from the spinal cord and extend to all parts of the body.
What is the function of the nervous system short answer?
Your nervous system is your body’s command center. Originating from your brain, it controls your movements, thoughts and automatic responses to the world around you. It also controls other body systems and processes, such as digestion, breathing and sexual development (puberty).
What does the nervous system do?
The nervous system is made up of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. It controls much of what you think and feel and what your body does. It allows you to do things like walk, speak, swallow, breathe and learn. It also controls how the body reacts in an emergency.
Which is longest cell in human body?
– In the human body, the nerve cell is the longest cell. Nerve cells are also called neurons that are found in the nervous system. They can be up to 3 feet long.
What are the major tissues of the nervous system?
Nervous tissue is grouped into two main categories: neurons and neuroglia. Neurons, or nerves, transmit electrical impulses, while neuroglia do not; neuroglia have many other functions including supporting and protecting neurons.
What are the 6 types of Neuroglia?
There are six types of neuroglia, each with different functions:
- Ependymal cell.
- Satellite cell.
- Schwann cell.